Current:Home > NewsOhio business owner sues Norfolk Southern for February derailment that closed his companies -Capitatum
Ohio business owner sues Norfolk Southern for February derailment that closed his companies
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:52:53
A business owner with companies near where a Norfolk Southern train derailed and caught fire in February has sued the railroad for $500 million, saying most of his eastern Ohio companies have remained closed and he hasn’t been able to reach a financial settlement with the railroad.
Edwin Wang filed his federal lawsuit Tuesday. It comes amid government lawsuits against Norfolk Southern and a class action case on behalf of residents who have complained about the derailment’s impact on East Palestine, Ohio.
Wang’s companies make specialized ceramic fiber insulation products for steel mills. The wholesale part of his business, CeramSource, was able to reopen last month in a new location just over the nearby Pennsylvania border. But contamination concerns and the costly equipment Wang can’t afford to replace have kept his other companies closed. Before the derailment spilled chemicals on his property, Wang’s companies employed close to 50 people and had plans to expand.
Norfolk Southern declined to comment on the lawsuit, but spokesman Thomas Crosson said the railroad is “actively supporting businesses in their recovery efforts.” That includes reaching confidential settlements with 11 businesses and offering $1.8 million to 55 others.
The railroad’s CEO has also apologized for the derailment and pledged to make things right. As part of that, the railroad has committed nearly $102 million to the community, and has been working to clean up the mess left behind by the derailment. The EPA is monitoring those efforts.
The railroad told investors last month that costs associated with the derailment had reached nearly $1 billion and are expected to climb as the lawsuits are resolved. In addition to the lawsuits, the company is working out details of three long-term funds it pledged to create to help East Palestine recover.
Wang’s lawsuit blames the derailment on Norfolk Southern having cut its workforce in recent years and its decision to rely more on longer, heavier trains. Railroad unions have also alleged that those changes — as well as similar ones made in the rest of the industry — made railroads riskier. The company has defend its overall safety record and said the operational changes only made it more efficient. But it also pledged to improve safety and become the example in the industry.
Norfolk Southern’s actions before and after the derailment compounded the damage, Wang asserts in court documents that call the derailment an “unmitigated disaster of unimaginable portions with terrible consequences.”
The National Transportation Safety Board has said an overheated bearing on one of the railcars likely caused the derailment, but it won’t issue its final report until sometime next year.
Atlanta-based Norfolk Southern is one of the nation’s largest railroads and operates roughly 20,000 miles of track in the eastern United States.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- ESPN to name Doris Burke, Doc Rivers to NBA Finals coverage; Mark Jackson let go, per reports
- Siesta Key's Madisson Hausburg Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby 19 Months After Son Elliot's Death
- Texas police department apologizes for pulling gun on family over mistaken license plate
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Clippers’ Amir Coffey arrested on suspicion of carrying a concealed firearm in a vehicle, police say
- Students’ lives thrown into disarray after West Virginia college announces plans to close
- Angus Cloud, of Euphoria fame, dead at 25
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Wife of Gilgo Beach murder suspect: ‘Everything is destroyed' after husband's arrest
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Firefighters contain a quarter of massive California-Nevada wildfire
- West Virginia board revokes private university’s ability to award degrees amid staggering debt
- Biden keeps Space Command headquarters in Colorado, reversing Trump move to Alabama
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- In Wisconsin, a court that almost overturned Biden’s win flips to liberal control
- Meet the USWNT kids: Charlie, Marcel and Madden are stealing hearts at the 2023 World Cup
- Many low-wage service jobs could be eliminated by AI within 7 years, report says
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
CVS to lay off 5,000 employees as it slashes costs
Super Bowl winner Bruce Collie’s daughter is among 4 killed in Wisconsin aircraft crashes
Myanmar’s military-led government extends state of emergency, forcing delay in promised election
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Vegas man killed roommate and lived with her corpse for extended period of time, police say
MLB power rankings: Padres and Cubs getting hot probably ruined the trade deadline
Rudy Giuliani may have assigned volunteer to Arizona 'audit', new emails show